Re: uw-imap-imapd: suggestions for cyg_server issue

Hi Pierre,

On 11/02/2010 10:39 PM, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
The problem you will run into is that 544 can be changed (e.g. to 0).
It's better to do it learn it dynamically.
The following is from the cron package source code.
<snip>

Thanks for that. Yes, I have a similar patch I made in my experimental
branch. I make one, IMO, slightly stronger assumption (than having a
fixed RID) that enables the check to be all POSIX.

I assume that the correct SID is always in the password field for both
passwd and group. I then search for these files for the SIDs of SYSTEM
user and Administrators group. The checks from there are the same.

The problem with this patch is, for consistency, I would have had to
do the same for checkpw() in imap-2007/src/osdep/unix/ckp_cyg.c,
which also assumes SYSTEM RID. This had two problems, a) increased
complexity, b) my method to eliminate cyg_server is to eliminate
Administrators. Firstly, I wouldn't be able to check for this using
pure POSIX, as I don't get the luxury of getgroups() until after the
user is logged in. Secondly, many users are in the Administrators
group. It would not do to eliminate them from logging in. I would need
some other heuristic to detect the cyg_server user (if I want to avoid
a known names list, like csih helper).

Thanks,
Shaddy

PS: Respectfully, you may want to do