Re: Question: Desired owner/group when running setup-1.7.exe

On Apr 18 10:13, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >   owner: Current user.
> >   group: The primary group of the account running setup.
> >   other: Everyone, as usual.
>
> Although "current user" is Administrator if you launch setup on Vista as
> an ordinary user, but you have UAC enabled.

No, not exactly.  You're still your own self, just with the token
extended to contain the Administrators group with SE_GROUP_ENABLED flag
set in the group list, instead of with SE_GROUP_USE_FOR_DENY_ONLY.

But it doesn't really matter.  If you're running setup as a user which
is member of the Administrators group, on Vista or earlier, you have the
Administrators group in your user token.

> > As the discussion in the aforementioned thread shows, this might not be
> > feasible in all environments.  OTOH, whatever we do, somebody *will*
> > complain.
>
> Yep!
>
> > I don't think it makes sense to have a setting in setup.exe to choose
> > user and group explicitely.  We should make a default setting and
> > everything else is up to the chown tool.
>
> I'm not so sure. Your solution would mean that *every* time I update, I
> would need to do a full recursive chown -R.  But not *really* recursive:

Why?  I mean, why should you have a desire to chown the Cygwin tree?
The permissions are the ones from the archive.  The owner is the
Admin's group (sort of root, which is probably what you want anyway),
and the files created by postinstall scripts will get the right owner
and permission by the script.

In theory, if we do it that way (assuming solution 3), a chown -R
should never be necessary.

> I think setup should accept three new command-line arguments:
> --change-owner=
> --change-group=
> --add-group-write-permission

I don't like the idea of additional command line options since it
doesn't help 99% of the users, which are using setup.exe as a GUI-only
tool.

Red Hat