Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Charles Wilson wrote:

> (1) we're talking about cygwin-1.7.x
> (2) Either
>     (a) only one of those parallel instances is in use at a time,
>     including installed services,
>     or
>     (b) all of those parallel instances have exactly the same version of
>     the DLL

Right, I don't think anyone is talking about having two trees in use
simultaneously.

> (3) Even so, doing this is not officially supported (the current
> dual-installation "support" vis-a-vis cygwin-1.5.x and cygwin-1.7.x is
>     (a) temporary and
>     (b) intended for package maintainers only, in order to prepare the
>     cygwin-1.7 packages -- and package maintainers generally know what
>     they are doing and what the pitfalls of a dual/multiple installation
>     are.

At the moment this is quite experimental, yes; but I don't see any
reason why it would be a temporary arrangement.  Once we get the changes
in setup.exe and 1.7 released, it will still be possible to keep
multiple parallel installs by just changing the root dir in setup to
select which one to install/update.  Why would we want to prevent that
from working?  Isn't this one of the desired payoffs of moving the mount
table out of the registry in the first place?

Brian