Re: RFC: [ITP] Installation Profiles packages

On Nov  8 18:13, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 01:52:20PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > >IMO, these packages should be in a special new category (I propose the
> > >name "@Profiles" to make setup put this at the top, but I don't know if
> > >setup will parse this correctly).  I've attached a few sample profile
> > >packages for commonly requested configurations with the corresponding
> > >setup.hints.  We could probably concentrate them all in one directory
> > >(thus the '@ ...' lines at the top of the hint files).  All the .tar.bz2
> > >files are the same empty tarball -- it's the setup.hints that are
> > >important.
> > >
> > >Comments and other suggestions welcome.  Note that the attached packages
> > >are an initial cut at defining those profiles -- I'm bound to have missed
> > >something.  Also, I'm not proposing to maintain *all* of the profiles,
> > >though I could maintain the ones I've attached, as there isn't too much
> > >work involved.
> >
> > Assuming that Corinna agrees, I'm willing to put these in a directory in
> > release.

I like the idea.

> > I'd like to get some consensus on the name "Profiles", though.  Is that
> > adequately intuitive?
>
> That's one of the things I wanted suggestions on.

The main problem is to get the user to notice that this is something
special.  I had a long hard look into the chooser window and it's
not only that this meta category should come first, it should also
be an eye catcher by its own, IMHO.

Therefore I'd like to propose an all uppercase name for this category.

  DEFAULT-PROFILES
  USER-PROFILES

Red Hat, Inc.