Re: updated: guile-1.6.7-2, guile-1.7.2-2

Christopher Faylor writes:

> Jan just announced a release of an current version of the package with
> this problem.  If we are going to be fixing something in the "old"
> version, I'd like it not to pollute /usr/bin.

Ok, I've updated the modified copy of libtool in guile 1.6.7-4 from
1.5.6 to 1.5.20.  I was really reluctant to do so, because the last
time I had to do this it was not trivial.

> But, then, I don't understand why guile-1.7.2 has been in a test state
> since May either.  Maybe I just need to be reassured that 1.6.7 is
> going away real soon now.

I would like that too, I'm afraid it won't.  Guile release cycles have
glacial speed.  We've been waiting for 1.6.8 for quite some time now.

Guile 1.7 is a development branch and has a different API.  The guile
developers ask explicitly not to distribute development releases other
than as a technology preview.  One reason is that binary compatibility
can be broken without soname change in the development series.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter