Re: tar maintainence

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 01:38:19PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>cgf last released tar 1.13.25 in Nov 2003.  I've just built tar 1.15.1 in
>my sandbox with a one-liner tweak and autoreconf; are you interested in
>letting me become the tar maintainer?  One of the nice features about 1.15
>is that it auto-recognizes the compression type of a .tar.* file, so that
>you don't need to use -Z, -z, or -j to extract them.

Sure, please take tar.  I noticed the autodetection of the compressed
files on one of my linux boxes.  I've had a new version sitting in my
sandbox for a while but I haven't taken the time to see if I got
everything right as far as binmode/textmode goes.  I've been carrying a
few patches around that I've been remiss in submitting upstream since I
anticipated pushback.

I don't suppose that you want findutils, too?

cgf