Re: Dependency checking change...

Larry Hall wrote:

> I think there is value in the flexibility.  I would suggest that
> the default action would add the required dependencies.  Anyone who
> wants the broken dependencies certainly has the sophistication to understand
> that an extra step or two is required to make this happen.  But I see no
> reason this can't be part of the GUI, perhaps under an "Advanced" button
> or something.  That should allow newbies not to trip up and break an
> installation while it allows seasoned/knowledgeable users that want to pull
> in only certain packages the freedom to do so.  This compromise is probably
> quite obvious to everyone but since I originally brought up the issue
> suggesting that there shouldn't be a way to make broken installations, I
> thought I should chime in to say that I think the ability to create broken
> installs is OK so long as it's guarded.

Okay, how about this scenario:

Remove the checkbox; add a button that says "Select these now
(Recommended)".  When you press it the packages are selected and the
contents of the text box are replaced with the status of those changes
(e.g. "selecting foomatic-1.2.3-1..." but the wizard stays on the same
page.

If a user just presses Next, they get a popup saying "You should really
install these before continuing, do you want me to do that?
Y/N/Cancel"  Yes would apply and move on to installation.  Cancel would
dismiss the popup and leave them at the same wizard page with no
change.  No would present a second popup saying "Are you really sure you
want to continue without selecting? Y/N" to eliminate the chance of a
user in a hurry selecting the wrong thing.

If started with --expert the behavior would be the same, except no
popups.  If you press next without pressing "Select these now" you get
exactly what you selected without setup getting in your way.

That would seem to give all the desired behaviors.  However, I'm not
sure if the three-way messagebox (Y/N/Cancel) would be confusing or
not.  A user might think "cancel" would abort the program, for example.
I guess that would depend on how well it's worded.

Brian