Re: [ITP] freeglut-2.2.0-1

Comments inserted below.

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

Hello,

I want to contribute/maintain freeglut.
<http://freeglut.sf.net/>http://freeglut.sf.net/

Freeglut is the OpenSourced alternative to the OpenGL Utility Toolkit
(GLUT) library, this version is compiled as drop-in replacement
(includes GL/glut.h and libglut.a/.dll.a), unfortunately this is a
conflict since the opengl package includes also this header, so here is
some common sense needed.  Since I prefixed freeglut with /usr/X11R6 no
files will be overwritten, but depending on include path order it may
lead to compile errors if both packages are installed.

The /usr/X11R6 prefix would indeed avoid overwitting existing files. As for conflicts, the developper would have to choose between building an X application using your freeglut package or a native Windows application, using the Opengl package, and set path for include files and libs accordingly.

OpenGL is several years old and I think there is no other package using
this library, at least a grep on setup.ini gives five matches which are
the opengl package informations.

The OpenGL package is for a different purpose than the freeglut package you are proposing. The OpenGL package is for building GLUT and OpenGL-based applications where the display is handled directly by Windows and is hardware accelerated (native Windows application). Your freeglut package is for building GLUT and OpenGL-based applications where the display is done by an X-server, without (for now), hardware acceleration of OpenGL functions.

Last time I checked, OpenGL functions where 2 to 100 times faster for native Windows apps than for X-server apps, depending on the function and the graphic card. So these packages serve different purposes: the OpenGL package for maximum speed and your freeglut package for X-server based apps.

Freeglut may also be compiled to co-exist with existing packages, then
the library would be named libfreeglut.a/.dll.a.

GLUT/Freeglut will be used if it is present by JasPer which I'm
currently preparing for ITP (and JasPer will be used by ImageMagick for
JPEG-2000 support if JasPer it is present).

setup.hint: === category: Graphics Libs requires: cygwin xorg-x11-bin-dlls sdesc: "OpenSourced alternative to the OpenGL Utility Toolkit (GLUT) library" ldesc: "freeglut is a completely OpenSourced alternative to the OpenGL Utility Toolkit (GLUT) library. GLUT was originally written by Mark Kilgard to support the sample programs in the second edition OpenGL 'RedBook'. Since then, GLUT has been used in a wide variety of practical applications because it is simple, widely available and highly portable.

GLUT (and hence freeglut) allows the user to create and manage windows
containing OpenGL contexts on a wide range of platforms and also read
the mouse, keyboard and joystick functions."

<http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/freeglut/freeglut-2.2.0-1-src.tar.bz2>http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/freeglut/freeglut-2.2.0-1-src.tar.bz2
http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/freeglut/freeglut-2.2.0-1.tar.bz2
<http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/freeglut/setup.hint>http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/freeglut/setup.hint
README: <http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/freeglut/>http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/freeglut/

Gerrit -- =^..^=

BTW, I vote +1 for this. I may even use Gerrit's package as a starting point for a native freeglut in a future OpenGL package.

André Bleau, Cygwin's OpenGL package maintainer.

Please address all questions and problem reports about Cygwin's OpenGL package to cygwin at cygwin dot com .