Re: Two new "categories" created. Comment needed

Christopher Faylor wrote:

Harold Hunt has just, without any discussion here, created two new
categories.  One is understandable and probably doesn't require
discussion.

I actually created ZZZRemovedPackages at least a month or more ago. As you mention, X11 was not created, it was a rename of XFree86.

The other, more controversial addition is ZZZRemovedPackages.

Harold has moved older XFree86 stuff into this directory.

Does anyone have a problem with this new category?  I think it's
obvious what it is used for.  The question is does it serve a
useful purpose?  Is the name sufficiently clear?  Does it
cause any side effects that may not be immediately obvious?

I vote pro :)

If it is decided that this is a good thing then it needs to
be documented.

I think it is a good interim solution since I don't see anyone stepping up to code *anything* in setup.exe or otherwise take charge of setup.exe [cue offended remark from Rob Collins after his last offended remark almost three weeks ago with still no action as far as I can tell, sorry Rob, but I wish you could be more honest with yourself about how much time you have]. A longer term solution would be a tag in setup.hint files that mark a package as removed, but this is insanely more complex.

Barring a complete update to setup.exe to handle removed packages, I think we might want adjust the script that generates http://cygwin.com/packages/ to make it ignore packages in the ZZZRemovedPackages category, which will remove lots of clutter from the pages it generates. This is not essential however.

Harold