Re: Pending patches for generic build script

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

| Thanks for the patch.  Some of it intersects with my and others' fixes (I
| planned to integrate patches in chronological order), but most of it is
| original and sounds very useful.  It's on my queue.  I'll use this message
| as a sort of a ChangeLog -- please let me know if you'd rather construct
| your own ChangeLog entries.

OK, they say release and release often, right? :-)  This patch is "take
two" for me and should replace my previous patch.

My revised "ChangeLog" follows.  Thanks!
Yaakov

Yaakov,

Is this new patch substantially different from your previous submission?
The reason I'm asking is that I have your previous patch heavily edited
locally, mostly to eliminate things that I'm already in the process of
applying, such as the '; \' -> '&& \' transformation, and I'd rather not
go through that again unless I have to.  If the patch is the same, just
send a ChangeLog, please (more comments below).

* provides variables for multiple binary packages, meaning that only the
'pkg' section has to be modified when this is necessary

* adds function 'reconf', mainly for package makers using the script to
drive the initial build process, when they realize that changes need to
be made and want to get a clean configure again.

* 'install' first clears the instdir, useful when changes need to be
made to install paths, etc.; this provides a clean install always

* automatic gzip-ing of man and info files (still experimental).

* adds to and alphabetizes the standard text doc list, making it easier
(and less common) to add to this list as necessary for an individual package

* /etc/postinstall created only if there's a postinstall.sh

* slightly modified 'list' output, which indents two spaces and prints
the leading slash, for use in the Cygwin README.

* adds function 'depend' which lists the package dependencies of the
executable and libraries, indented two spaces for use in the Cygwin README.

* adds options to call existing functions: 'configure' calls 'conf',
'make' calls 'build', 'test' calls 'check'.

* adds option 'first' (never figured out what else to call it), which
calls 'mkdirs' 'spkg' and 'finish'.  I use it after patching the src
tree to create the -src tarball, which afterwards I call 'all' to build
the binary package in one step.

* some substitution of "&& \" instead of "; \", and other code cleanup.

Also, the above isn't a true ChangeLog -- I did suggest looking at packaging/ChangeLog for the examples... Yours would look something like

----------------
2004-02-10  Yaakov Selkowitz  <youremail>

	* generic-build-script (reconf): New function to reconfigure
	cleanly.
	(install): Clean out ${instdir}.
	(configure, make, test): Aliases for conf, build, and check
	respectively.
... and so on.  As I suggested to Alan, please wait a few days so that I
can finish checking in all the minor changes that are already in the
queue.  At that point, you should be able to regenerate the patch against
the latest CVS.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/