Re: ask-2.5.0 - a new package for review

Robert Collins wrote:
That said, I really don't think we want to formalise the package
creation script. If we -really- are heading to compatibility with any
existing format, surely our efforts are bested directed to achieving
that, not to (relatively minor) fiddling within our adhoc format.

Agreed.

In my dream world, setup.exe will interoperate with both deb and rpm packages. There will be tools (or libraries) that allow synchronization of the various databases (deb's installed, /var/rpm/*, and /etc/setup/*). Setup.exe will update all of them. Cygwinized rpm and apt tools will update all of them.

And we will be able to use any of those tools to install stuff: setup, rpm&derivatives, apt&derivatives.

And we (package maintainers) will be able to use debian or rpm tools to package our stuff, and we'll eventually migrate away from tarballs.

That's my dream. But it'll take years to get there, and I'm not in a hurry.

To tell you the truth, I think a nice interim step would be a tool of some sort that leveraged deb/rpm packages, to create setup-compatible tarballs, complete with taking rpm-style post/pre scripts and "putting them in the right place" so that setup will do the right thing.

Then, for instance, we could simply use rpm tools to create an rpm -- and then run rpm2setup to create the distributable tarball and src tarball.

Ditto .deb.

I think this is a better path to take than worrying about cygbuild vs mknetrel vs generic-pkg-script vs....

--Chuck