Setup 2.249.2.5 usage hurdles

Hi,

There are two issues with the current version of setup:

1) Summary: When the installed package is two versions behind the
currently available one, clicking through the values in the "New" column
in both Full and Partial views loses some values on the second and
subsequent passes through.

Details: I have bash-2.05b-3 installed.  The current version available is
2.05b-5, and the previous is 2.05b-4.  In both Full and Partial views,
clicking on the New column cycles through the following values:
   2.05b-5 (with the Bin? checkbox selected)
   Source (with both Bin? and Src? set to "n/a")
   Reinstall
   2.05b-4 (with both Bin? and Src? unselected)
   Uninstall
   Keep
   2.05b-4
   Uninstall
   Keep
   etc...
In other words, once you've clicked to change 2.05b-5, there is no way to
get back to it without restarting setup ("back" and "next" do not affect
this), or selecting the "Prev" radio button followed by the "Curr" radio
button (which restarts the above sequence, but changes the state of "Bin?"
on "2.05b-4" to selected).  I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I thought
I'd report it.

2) Summary: No way to install source of the previous package version
without uninstalling the current binary version.

Details: I have w32api-2.0-1 (both binary and source) installed, and
wanted to install the source of w32api-1.5-1.  Clicking the "New" column
until 1.5-1 appeared, I was faced with two choices: Select both "Bin?" and
"Src?" checkboxes, or leave "Bin?" unselected.  Both resulted in
uninstalling w32api-2.0-1 (the first choice installed w32api-1.5-1 in its
place).  This is probably more of a feature request: it would be nice to
be able to install a source of an older package without uninstalling the
newer one.  I'm not quite sure how this can be accomplished, or even what
the right interface for this would be, so I'm throwing this one at the
mercy of the setup maintainers.

Those were the major issues, but while we're on feature requests, it would
be nice to have "Keep" follow the latest version in the "New" column
clickthrough, so to keep from installing the newest version one would only
need one click (one could get to "Source" by just selecting the "Src?"
checkbox, so this won't slow down people who just want to install the
source).  This issue is not too important, but is mildly anoying.  I could
probably provide a patch for this one, and if the maintainers don't get to
it at some point, I just might (and given my unfamiliarity with the code,
the patch might be horrible -- you may take this as a threat ;-))

On the whole, though, thanks for all the great work, and sorry for the
rant.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51