Re: And one more package, astyle Re: New Package: doxygen-1.2.17

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 12:40:53AM +0000, Gareth Pearce wrote:

Hmmm I was under the impression that for a package to be accepted it needed
a) - someone to check it for packaging.
b) - at least 3 votes saying that it is desired to be seen in the distribution.

which so long as person in a) is competant - seems fine to me.

Ok, that's no. 2 and other packages are still missing the pro votes.
I could step in and be no. 3 but...
I still think we should keep it at 2, unless more activity is seen.

...where are all the subscribers of this list? How should we ever
get enough positive votes for a package if nobody cares? I always
see the same names if it comes to vote for a package and I see
always the same (less) names if it comes to reviewing a package.

The Cygwin net distro isn't sort of a one man show, it's a community
effort. It's not Chris and me who are the responsible people for
reviewing a package and we are not the only people with the right to upload packages.
AMEN!

Please note, *all* maintainers are welcome to give his/her voice for
a new package.
I was getting worried that people thought I was always voting yes for a package, so I tried cut back a little :-(.

And by all means I think a positive vote should be combined with at
least *some* reviewing of a package.
Agreed, but I hope that more then just the usual people are expected to do this...

I failed to check this in the past sometimes but I will not upload
a package with less than three positive votes in future.
Please, this is rediculous. It's hard enough to get people interested enough to give 2 votes.

Outstanding packages:

    procps  (reviewed, 2 votes, John and me)
I voted for this one, after reviewing it.

    ELFIO   (reviewed, 2 votes, Joshua and Nicholas)
    doxygen (reviewed, 0 votes)
Again, I voted for it, but with the conditions that it be cleaned up a bit.

    astyle  (NOT reviewed, 1 vote, Gareth)
Haven't had a chance to check it out.

I'd like to echo Corinna's point in that the apathy for new packages is disgraceful. If someone has taken the time to put a package together, the least you can do is check it out. Even if you don't, then just say so, but IMHO, silent vetos are unacceptable.

Cheers,
Nicholas