Re: proposal for GNU emacs 21.2 package

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 05:17:30PM -0400, Nicholas Wourms wrote:

Sorry, I had intended this to go to the list but must of screwed up. And I guess I owe you another apology because I fogot that $#%@ X11 doesn't make both kinds of libraries for every dll. So I guess I stand corrected. *Sigh*, I do wish the XFree people would drop the antiquated Imake system and switch to autotools.

That's a big ditto.  I've always hated that imake stuff.

Btw, I probably should note that I'm very happy to have this in the
distribution.  I know it was a lot of work for Joe.  I hope we can work
out all of these issues with dlls.  It's a pain but I want to do it as
close to "right" as possible.

Well,

I'm not the one who wants it, but I think we might as well distribute the lastest rebase as a package. I know its supposed to be part of setup.exe, but with Rob being indefinately tied up, I think this is the most prudent step at this point. Then Stipe and Joe can depend on the rebase package and use it during postinstall. Not the best solution, mind you, but one that seems to be the most appropriate. I mean, after all, if someone complains about memory collisions on the main list we tell them to go get rebase anyhow. This will just save us the trouble of having to do that step. I suggest that it be done until we can get a mainstream setup with the integrated functionality. In the meantime, I guess us WinME users will just have to go without Apache and Emacs until fork() gets fixed or until we stop using fork alltogether. This will also get rid of that antiquated rebase that Stipe is distributing in his package, which solves another problem.

So Jason, if you put up a package for rebase, its got my vote.

Cheers,
Nicholas