Re: prev/curr/test

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 08:27:04PM -0500, Brian Keener wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Sorry, but I really don't like this.  Adding a whole bunch of new
>>things for a user to cycle through (or even select from a pulldown) is
>>moving in the wrong direction, IMO.
>
>But a big deal at one point in time was the ability to get to
>packages/versions that were in the local directory and install those -
>how else can you do this if you limit your self to prev, curr, and
>test.

I don't know who this was a big deal for.  It isn't for me; especially
if we would be confusing the people who want to use setup.exe for its
normal use at the expense of people who have additional requirements.

I think the whole cycling through versions thing was a big mistake.
I don't know of any other setup utility that allows this kind of thing.
Heck, I believe that you actually need to specify a different repository
entirely if you want to install non-current packages in debian.

Is this correct, Robert?

>What if the current setup.ini has a prev version and a current version
>but I still have the one prior to the prev version and it was right the
>two most recent are wrong and I want to roll back to it - How do I do
>this under you folks way of thinking.

You don't.  You find some other method for reverting to software that
is <1 revision old.  This is not a hardship.  AFAIK, setup has never
allowed you to do more than prev/curr/test.

>I like the simpler approach for sure but let my option I select tell me
>everything - don't give me 4 different buttons and umpteen combinations
>to choose from to get where I want to be - talk about confusing.

And how do you know when you've hit the current version?  You see it
scroll by and remember that you want "1.4.9-1 bin" and then click the
mouse ten more times to get back to that.  That's really not user
friendly, IMO.

cgf