Re: Setup - Idea...

Robert Collins wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 22:35, Gareth Pearce wrote:
> > Hi ... I am going out on a limb here and assume that this feature hasnt been
> > suggested before. (ummm yeah I know I should of checked the message lists -
> > I am prepared to shoot myself if I am wrong :P)
>
> I'm not sure if it's been suggested, but I don't think its a good thing
> - IMO when a package is removed, setup should leave it installed, until
> the user requests that it be removed.

Ditto.

> I'm not religious on this one, so if anyone disagrees, just chime in.

Ok, I'll be the religious one.  If a package is removed from setup.ini
then setup should leave previously installed versions alone.  If a
package needs to be removed due to serious conflicts with Cygwin then a
null package can be created to remove the conflicting files.  Then at a
later date the null package can be deleted.

Note: A null package is one with just an obligatory
/usr/doc/cygwin/<package>-README that explains the removal decision.

Earnie.