Re: nano - packaged and ready for some criticism :)

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 11:34:54PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>

>>>*Well* beyond the newbie's capability.  But "reinstall the info package"
>>>or "run fix-info" is nice and simple.
>>>

>>Sure.  If you've got a solution, I have no objections.  I just didn't
>>think it was a big deal, either way.
>>
>>And, ur, I've been one of those screwed up package maintainers.  I don't
>>even currently rebuild dir in any of my packages and I really should.
>>
>>Or, actually, I think either setup.exe should be intelligent enough to
>>do this for you or there should be some way for a package to say "please
>>run this standard bit of machinery for me".
>

>You mean setup.exe itself should do:
>  if tarball contains /usr/info/*, then
>    install-info --dir-file=/usr/info/dir --info-file=$(each one)
>  end
>
>I disagree.  AFAIK, RPM doesn't do this.  I believe you have to do:
>
>%post
>install-info .....

I wasn't really advocating a method.  I was pointing out that having n
package maintainers write n scripts to rebuild /usr/ingo/dir was not a
structured approach to the problem.

Probably what we need is something like RPM's /usr/lib/rpm directory.
We can put scripts there that can be called automatically.

So, a package which produces info files could have a postinstall.sh file
which runs /etc/setup/scripts/update-dir or something.

Actually, it would be "really nice" if the package didn't have to even
have a postinstall.sh and could just specify that /etc/setup/scripts/update-dir
*was* the file to run after package installation.

I also want to point out that setup.exe is not exactly equal to RPM,
IMO.  It's more like the Red Hat 7.x installater..  Or, it's a
combination installer/up2date.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that Red Hat's installer redbuilt 'dir'
for you automatically.  I wouldn't expect that every use of 'rpm' would
do this for you, though, obviously.

cgf