Re: Move zlib up one level?

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 03:54:43PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

> [...]

Right.  But in the meantime we have a huge user base who can't easily
figure out what packages they have installed.

>> Also, since I wrote most (all?) of what I'm pulling out, I felt pretty
>> comfortable with it...
>
>Oh, sure :}. I wasn't meaning you weren't capable, just that having the
>same code in two places is bad because of the capability for skew.

Absolutely.  I really hate this but I was doing it the wrong way for 1.3.5.
I am optimistically thinking that there won't be a new cygwin release for
a while after that and I wanted to get something that works into 1.3.5.

I also didn't want to be pulling things apart while you are actively working
on this but maybe this is an important enough goal that it is worth doing
ASAP.

Btw, I considered just suggesting that this functionality should go into
setup.exe.  It would be sort of nice to be able to say:

setup --dump

or something to get the current list of installed packages.

However, there are two problems with that, IMO:

1) setup.exe is currently a windows app so it can't write to the console.

2) Cygcheck should really be the one stop place for all debugging output
   so, at the very least, cygcheck would have to call a 'dump capable'
   setup.exe to get its output but, that wouldn't be useful for debugging
   cases where setup.exe wasn't available.

cgf