Re: cygwin-apps Digest 2 Nov 2001 18:46:34 -0000 Issue 223

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 10:27:43PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

>> > How do you figure that?
>>Rob's right, it means setup.exe (for cygwin.bat and /etc/profile)
>>should "depend" on the bash and shellutils packages.  Hm.  Evil
>>thought--why not make the setup.exe auto-updating feature grab the file
>>as /latest/setup/setup.tar.bz2, make the cinstall src available through
>>setup.exe.  In other words, make setup.exe a package.  May be more
>>complicated than it's worth, I haven't seen the auto-updating code.
>
>Good idea.  It's one discussed very briefly recently on the dev list,
>and the actual concept behind setup auto updating.  Baby steps though -
>once setup is able to autoupdate we can do this.

Actually, IMO, what the above means is that cygwin.bat should not
be created if bash.exe is not installed.  There is no requirement
that cygwin.bat should always be created.  It makes no sense to
do so if you have not downloaded the correct components.

cgf