Re: bug in ash (Was: State of the DLL, mark 2?)

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 11:52:24PM +0300, Egor Duda wrote:
>well, i've found the reason. moreover, i've found that as was once
>patched to fix this bug, but later, patch was reverted. i wonder why.
>did it have some ill side effects?

Hmm.  I vaguely remember this.  I remember asking Corinna to look into
this but neither of us had an actual test case that tickled the bug.
I can't find any email from Corinna explaining why the bug was backed
out but I wonder if I asked her to do this in a phone call or something.

Have you tried doing a full configure/build with the ash as modified below?
If so, maybe it is safe to check this in.

>=============================================================================
>Thu Oct 12 14:28:00 2000  Corinna Vinschen <corinna@vinschen.de>
>
>        * memalloc.c: Revert previous patch until it's need is proved.
>
>Tue Oct 10 16:46:00 2000  Corinna Vinschen <corinna@vinschen.de>
>
>        Patch suggested by Andy Mortimer <Andy.Mortimer@software.aeat.com>:
>        * memalloc.c: Add member `refcnt' to struct stack_block.
>        (stalloc): Initialize refcnt when allocating a new block.
>        (setstackmark): Increment refcnt when reusing a stack block.
>        (popstackmark): Decrement refcnt when dropping usage of a stack block.
>        (growstackblock): Reallocate a block only if it's used only once.

I will wait for Corinna to come back from holiday so that she can offer
the definitive opinion, though.

Thanks for tracking this down.  I was going to look into this myself this
weekend.  You saved me from some "enjoyable" ash hacking.  :-)

cgf