Re: RFD: Include an easy editor in the cygwin-standard-distribution

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:34:47 -0400, you wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 07:29:25AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>> The best I have found till now is ee, the little brother of aee;
>>>

>>Hmm...  I agree with your reasoning, but maybe not the package.  Let's discuss
>>the highlights of a/ee.  I noticed that it's function key based which means I
>>have to move my hands from the keyboard, ugh.

The main point for me is the ease of use. If you hit escape, a menu
pops up which gives you options like save file exit and so on.

No need to learn things like ESC : wg or CTRL S CTRL Q

I did think about something that is self documenting, something like
notepad for cygwin. Perhaps I am completely wrong about the average
user-skill's of cygwin-users but here in germany cygwin is distributed
on CD in a beginner's journal on linux. Not only pro's will be using
it in the future.

>>I suggest, the ed package for one, and if there is a small version of vi, not
>>vim, we include those.  Anyone know of a vi package that is close the the
>>original UNIX versions?

Hmmm.. my personal vote would be vim, perhaps it is not always pure vi
but the best version of vi I ever used. (And I'm using it every day)

>Why not use vim?  I'm willing to include this.  I just need a maintainer.
>
>cgf

If it must be vim we could use Chuck Wilson's version because it is
very independant of other packages; I would personally prefer the full
version with gnome support but that can always be distributed as an
addon to cygwin.

I can take care for vim if noone has objections, but I would still
like to raise the question again:

Do we really want that? For me and lot's of others vi is it, but what
about someone getting his feet wet with cygwin for the first time?

Editing a file (or explaining how to) can get complicated with vim or
emacs; why make it more complicated than neccessary?

Greetings,

Michael Ring