Re: crosstool-ng generated toolchains do not compile qt5

deep_freeze,

I'm CC'ing Michael, Trevor, Yann

open an issue on https://github.com/crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng/issues .

> first of all, I want to say how awesome your tool crosstool-ng is, it
> makes building toolchains really easy. :)
>
> Unfortunately I got a little issue with it and thought, that you maybe
> have a hint to the right direction. The goal was to build an
> arm-toolchain for the raspberry pi to compile the Qt5 Framework. There
> is a crosstool-ng generated toolchain floating around, named
> "gcc-4.7-linaro-rpi-gnueabihf.tbz"(build.log.bz2 included) which is able
> to do so, but it's a bit outdated and I'd like to build a fresh one myself.
>
> I followed this tutorial https://wiki.qt.io/RaspberryPi_Beginners_Guide
> and just substituted the toolchain. Qt doesn't build with version 1.21.0
> and complains about various errors. As far I could see, one problem is
> the toolchains name "arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf", since debian doesn't
> use a vendor string for some reason. After struggling with that I found
> a way to patch the vendor string out (directly in crosstool-ngs source
> -> gcc -dumpmachine says "arm-linux-gnueabihf", so I guess that worked.)

I don't think the way you are configuring QT is correct. You may want
to find a QT forum or mailing list to help you with that.

> I'm not sure if the patch was necessary at all.
> It didn't really help and qt ./configure complains about missing header
> files, like stuff in "/usr/include/sys". Raspbian puts these files in
> "/usr/include/arm-linux-gnueabihf/", so maybe that this is the reason
> for the failure. Perhaps you have an idea what is going wrong here?

Well, crosstool-ng currently still requires a vendor string.
I know that we had a patch from Michael Hope for allowing an empty
vendor string:
https://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2011-10/msg00047.html

Which is where your patch came from, but if you read the thread we had
some suggestions to make the patch better, and I believe Michael was
working on a revised patch. I think that work fell off. I know Michael
moved on from Linaro and Trevor Woerner took over the toolchain
position at Linaro; I'm not sure if he wants to pick this up?

If all else fails, I will be happy to work out a better solution to
allowing an empty vendor string.

> I hope this is not the complete wrong way to ask for help.

Again, the mailing list is the best place to ask.

> Best Regards

Cheers,

-Bryan