Re: Configuration advice, specifically for arm-cortex-a8

On 02/02/15 23:02, Erik Leunissen wrote:

I experimented with both "hardware" and "leave to gcc", because of the
NEON floating-point accelerator, advertised here:

     http://beagleboard.org/BLACK

Whatever choice I make: the resulting toolchains fail if I invoke gcc
with the option:

     -mfloat-abi=hard

The native gcc on the beagle bone black[*], does not complain on:

    gcc -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=neon

So I expected to find a header file "stubs-hard.h" somewhere in the guts of it.

Surprise: there isn't any on the entire file system!

Erik.

[*]  part of the pre-installed Debian distribution
--

  However, the option

     -mfpu=neon

doesn't raise any errors.

That surprises me. Doesn't "NEON floating-point accelerator" imply
hardware floating point? See also:

http://www.eliteraspberries.com/blog/2013/09/cflags-for-numerical-computing-on-the-beaglebone-black.html)

What am I missing?

Case 2: the cpu
This is a arm-cortex-a8, specifically Sitara AM3358 ARM Cortex-A8.
What are the pro's and con's of configuring this in ct-ng (with the
option category "Target optimisations") and leaving it as configurable
at the gcc command line, using:

     $prefix-gcc -march=armv7-a -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mtune=cortex-a8

Thanks for sharing any insights,

Erik Leunissen