Re: building a cross-native for arm

On 12 Oct 2014, mauro@mailgate.soft-in.com wrote:

> I'm answering to myself to add a few comments.

> 0) cross-compiler seems to work ok (arm-mcon-linux-gnueabi) I am
> "deploying" it merely doing a:
> ( cd /usr/local/bin ; ln -s
>> HOME/x-tools/arm-mcon-linux-gnueabi/bin/* . )
> on my build machine.

> 1) I got to the end of cross-native toolchain compilation (disabling
> GDB), but I'm unable to make it run on target board because of many
> missing libs.

> 2) I tried using the "staging", but that doesn't fit well (IF I used
> it correctly!) because many libs are pushed in the standard /lib &
> /usr/lib, while I would like to have some sort of self-contained
> package (probably to deploy it in
> /usr/local/arm-mcon-linux-gnueabi/... or something similar).

Investigate the populate scripts.  It should be names something like
'arm-mcon-linux-gnueabi-populate'.

See:
 http://crosstool-ng.org/git/crosstool-ng/tree/scripts/populate.in
 http://crosstool-ng.org/git/crosstool-ng/tree/docs/5%20-%20Using%20the%20toolchain.txt#137

You can use 'chroot' to test the compiler on the target.  Ie, make a
complete parallel directory structure and use it to test a shell.  You
can also change your mount options and linux 'root=' to point to
alternate mount points.

This is a fairly difficult topic that is really outside of ct-ng.  You
should research 'linux+root filesystem'.  It may also be possible to
have two sets of 'libc' existing at the same time.  However, this is not
very efficient and you would want to eliminate this eventually.  It
seems to make most sense to start with either a completely different
'mount point' or directory and use 'chroot' to test it out.

Fwiw,
Bill Pringlemeir.