Re: saveconfig is dropping configurations

Bryce, All,

Sorry for the delay... :-(

On 2013-12-16 14:37 -0800, Bryce Schober spake thusly:
> When I saveconfig after loading a modified sample containing the
> following configuration, it drops the configurations for
> CT_LOCAL_TARBALLS_DIR, CT_PREFIX_DIR, and CT_LIBC_GLIBC_FORCE_UNWIND.
> This makes any round-tripping through menuconfig and saveconfig not
> work properly.
>
> This is on latest tip - I haven't yet tried going back in time to a
> released version.
>
> Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

This is on purpose. The code responsible for that is in:
    scripts/saveSample.sh.in

We drop those configurations because we want the samples to be
re-useable as-is by other users. Samples are meant to be bundled in
crosstool-NG, so we do want any user to be able to use them.

For example, if you were to store the prefix' or tarballs' directory in
the sample, then what would ensure that those locations are valid on any
other user's machine?

The only way it is is to use the defaults for those variables, which
default to a sub-dir in ${HOME}, which is the only location we can
guarantee is writeable by the user.

On the other hand, if you want to save a minimal defconfig, you can use:
    ct-ng savedefconfig

which creates a file named 'defconfig' in the current directory.

Note the difference between a sample and a defconfig, however:

  - sampels will save both the crosstool-Ng configuration *and* any
    associated file (eg. the uClibc .config file).

  - a defconfig will only save a crosstool-Ng minimal defconfig, and no
    associted file

As for CT_LIBC_GLIBC_FORCE_UNWIND, it gets dropped because it defaults
to being set. Did you miss it when recalling a sample?

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.