Re: multilib-list

Hello Ray, Brian, and everyone else,

On 02/26/14 15:05, Ray Donnelly wrote:
> AFAIK, Bryan Hundven was going to exclude --with-multilib-list for arm
> if gcc < 4.9, and exclude it altogether for all arches other than Intel,
> arm and sh.

It seems like a lot of initial (and on-going) work (multilib_add_archs)
to keep track of which architectures and which versions have multilib
support. I guess it would help users from accidentally creating invalid
configurations, but on the other hand I can't help think it would be
easier and more flexible to have the option always available (when
multilib is selected) and include a strongly worded help message instead :-)

In my case I'd like to use it to build multilib toolchains using the
"custom" version. Could that scenario be added too? It looks like that
won't be easy. I think it would be safe to assume if a user is
performing a build using custom versions that they're knowledgeable
enough to know if they want multilib. It reminds me of the patches you
have to add snapshots and additional versions.

I still think it would just be best to provide the list option if the
user selects multilib since there's a decent chance they might know what
they're doing and a missing multilib list isn't a problem.

It looks like your focus is on 32-bit versus 64-bit tools and libraries.
All I'm looking for is to specify multiple architectures (e.g. armv6-m
armv7e-m). I'm not sure the work you're doing will accommodate my
use-case too. But I'll do some investigation and testing and let you
know how it goes.

> Any chance you could point me to some information on how to use a second
> remote patch queue with mercurial? I would like to work with these
> patches, but I'm rather new to mercurial, never mind its queue add-on.
>

> I'm also quite new to mercurial, so someone may need to correct me.
> Tutorial:
> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/MqTutorial

Thank you so much for that list! The "qclone" and "qpush -a" commands
were especially helpful!

Best regards,
    Trevor