Re: Q: whald should I give my "customers" ?

Mau, All,

On 2013-12-31 00:41 +0200, Mau Z spake thusly:
> So, I had built a tool chain.
> Now, I have used it to create an image (root file system).
> Let's suppose that everything went OK, and all is good.

Yes, let's suppose that! ;-)

> Now, my "customers" are a group of application developers, which need
> the tool chain.
> They work on a different site, so I must somehow "deliver" the newly
> created toolchain.
>
> The do not need the toolchain o the target, just on the development
> host  (their desktops).
>
> What should I give them ?
>    1) Simply, the "x-tools" directory (300 MB) ?
>    2) Simply, the "x-tools/i686-zm-linux-gnu/bin" directory (21 MB) ?
>    3) any other suggestion ?

3) any other suggestion:
    the "x-tools/i686-zm-linux-gnu: directory as a whole.

;-)

> Are there instruction/advices that I should give them ? do's and don'ts ?

Do's: ensure all your 'users' will have a decent distro so the toolchain
runs on their machines. Alternatively, use yourself a distro that is as
old as the older distro your users may use.

Do's: if your 'users' distro are very disparate, you may want to build a
statically-linked toolchain, see:
    Toolchain options  --->
        [ ] Build Static Toolchain

Do's: preferably install the toolchain in /opt/x-tools/${CT_TARGET}
(or any other generic location) rather than in your home. This is not
strictly required, since toolchains generated with ct-ng are
relocatable, but cleaner nonetheless.

Dont's: expect no problem! :-p

> Is there a good or bad way to "deliver" the newly created toolchain ?

The simplest is just to create a tarball of your x-tools/i686-zm-linux-gnu
directory, and distribute that. Tell your 'users' to extract it wherever
they want, and export PATH="...../i686-zm-linux-gnu/bin:${PATH}"

Note that, if your 'users' are not in the same legal entity as you are,
then you do have some obligations due to the licensing terms og the
different tools you are using (GPLv2+, GPLv3+, LGPLv2.1+, and maybe
others), since you are in fact distributing the toolchain. Be sure to
understand that! ;-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.