Re: --host versus --target

Le Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:16:08 -0500,
Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> a Ãcrit :

> I wasn't aware there existed different strategies for putting together
> a cross-root-filesystem, I'm quite happy you took the time to list
> them. Ironically, looking through the list (and I realize you're not
> going to agree) I think option #1 is the best. Having recently put in
> the time to put together such an image, I can attest it was quite a
> pain getting the various packages to compile correctly.

That's because you shouldn't be doing that manually. There are embedded
Linux build systems that are designed to precisely handle this work.
OpenEmbedded, Yocto, Buildroot, PTXdist, OpenBricks, etc. My preference
of course goes towards Buildroot, since I'm part of the development
team. But the others are fine, too, since they make this
cross-compilation easier *and* reproducible.

Handling the cross-compilation of the various packages for its embedded
Linux system in a manual way is a very bad development practice, in my
opinion.

Best regards,

Thomas
--