RE: CT_PREFER_MIRROR working?

Yann, All,

> Currently, either downloads are allowed, in which case CT_Get*
> behave so:
>  - first, try from local tqarballs dir
>  - then try from the mirror (which svn, cvs and git do not honor so
> far)
>  - then try from upstream locations
>  - finally fail if not found
>
> The mirror option is labelled the "LAN mirror", but really nothing
> prevents
> it from being any where on the network, local or not. I already
> provide a
> mirror for a few tarballs (eg. uClibc snapshots, or a few mpfr
> versions as
> upstream is sometime unreachable). It is even suggested to use that
> mirror
> in the CT_USE_MIRROR option.
>
> So how would one differentiate between:
>  - I don't want to call to the internet, but still use the mirror
> and:
>  - I don't want to call to the internet at all
> when there is no way to know whether the mirror is on the LAN or
> not?
>
> But anyway, here's what I was planning:
>  - if downloads are forbidden, and no mirror is set
>    - just look in local tarballs dir (if set)
>  - if downloads are forbidden, and a mirror has been set
>    - look in local tarballs dir (if set)
>    - then try the mirror
>  - if downloads are allowed
>    - look in local tarballs dir (if set)
>    - then try the mirror (if set)
>    - then try provided URLs
>
> Selecting the mirror would be de-correlated from the
> FORBID_DOWNLOAD option,
> so it is always available.

Great explanation, that helped.

> Would that match your use-case? That's what I was intending to do.
> ;-)

Yes, that gets me.

> I believe that's about all we should support. FORBID_DOWNLOAD is
> just here
> as a fast-path when roaming, and network is not available. But
> nothing
> prevents you to be connection-less and still attempt downloads;
> it's just
> that it will take some time before the failure occurs.
> FORBID_DOWNLOAD
> merely makes it happen sooner.

Okay, BUT, there is one problem that I didn't see you mention:

./configure looks for svn, and fails if it is not there.  That
was what I meant by --mirror-dl-only.  A switch for the configure
script to NOT check to see that we have svn installed.

Did you already account for that in the above?  If so, sorry, I
missed it.

Andy