Re: [crosstool-ng] Eglibc (and glibc?) fails with gold/ld

Bill, Mike, All,

On Sunday 03 April 2011 17:44:46 Bill Pringlemeir wrote:
> On  2 Apr 2011, Bill Pringlemeir wrote:
> > I was running from hg (retrieved Thursday/Friday).  I enabled the
> > gold/ld option and the ld is 'gold' of course.  However, eglibc fails
> > with an obcure "Linker version too old" or some such.  I looked on
> > some mailing lists and it appears that glibc (and I guess eglibc) need
> > the ld.bfd.  The reason is that the libraries need linker script
> > support which gold doesn't have.
>
> > So has anyone build with just 'gold' and/or 'gold/ld' (where gold is
> > 'ld' and 'ld.bfd' is the older gnu ld)?  I think we might want to
> > disable this option, if it is to be release as is.  I looked briefly
> > at the eglibc configure option.  There was a '--with-binutils' that
> > maybe we could provide an alternate directory with the gnu ld as the
> > 'primary' or maybe just symlinks or something.

Or perhaps we could force ld to be ld.bfd when compiling the toolchain,
and leave ld be ld.gold afterward.

> > I was a little surprised that the ld wasn't a symlink of gold but an
> > actual copy.  I guess I can just do a copy in the final tool directory
> > to make gold the default when I start with ld/gold?
>
> On  2 Apr 2011, vapier@gentoo.org wrote:
>
> > expected behavior.  no plans in the respective upstream projects to
> > "fix" things any time soon if ever.

OK, so it means that glibc/eglibc do not care about ld.gold, and that
ld.gold does not care about glibc/eglibc. GNU folks strike again! ;-)

What if/when gold takes over, and ld.bfd is deprecated and removed?
Surely glibc/eglibc will no longer be buildable.

That old versions do not get changed is OK, but current devel stream
should be compatible...

> Right.  I don't think that anything should be fixed upstream [except
> eventually gold may have linker script support].

>From the little I could read here and there, gold is not driven by linker
scripts, and that was a designe decision. Adding linker script support to
gold could well prove impossible, or worse, a real bad hack.

> I guess that there is no 'crosstool-ng' mailing list?

The current official channel for crostool-NG is this very list.

> I meant that the crosstool-ng scripts
> need to be fixed to make sure that 'e?glibc' is built with the BFD
> version of ld; or maybe you were just confirming that is the way to go?

Currently, there is an option in the binutils menu that offers to install
either:
  - ld
  - gold
  - ld & gold  (ld as default)
  - gold & ld  (gold as default)

And there is also an option to install a wrapper that will inspect the
environment and decide at runtime what version to run:
  Binary utilities  --->
    Linkers to enable (ld, gold)
      [ ] Add ld wrapper

Then, if ${CTNG_LD_IS} can be set to either one of:
  - gold  -> forces use of gold
  - bfd   -> forces use of ld.bfd

> ps. Everyother time I send mail to Yann Morin, it seems to bounce.  I am
> trying again...

Sigh... My mail relay is going insane once again... I just got the OK to
tweak the settings of the mail relay, but I have been pretty busy here. I
think I can get to fix the stuff by next WE. Sorry for the inconvenience...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.