Managed to compile glibc 2.12.1!

Hello everyone,

The attached set of patches allows compilation of a cross-toolchain for the alphaev67-unknown-linux-gnu and alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu systems with glibc 2.12.1. I don't see any success in compiling with this version of glibc in the table that is available on the web page. The rest of the toolchain consists of:

gcc 4.3.5
binutils 2.21
linux 2.6.37.2
gmp 5.0.1
mpfr 3.0.0

So, it is a toolchain with recent or the latest version for all components.

The attached file has to be uncompressed under the directory patches/glibc. Let me explain what I did, because there are a few issues that need to be sorted out.

1) I took the ports-2.10.1 directory and figured out which patches are already applied in glibc-2.12.1. These have been deleted. The file names of these patches start with:

110, 130, 210, 320, 410, 420, 450, 470, 480, 500, 510, 520, 540, 550, 590

2) Some other patches required minor modifications to apply cleanly. The file names of these patches start with:

260, 300, 400, 490, 630, 640

3) The most important part is here. 3 patches failed to apply and I could not change them to make them work. So I simply deleted them. These are:

390: A patch to make NPTL cross-compile. It looks TO ME that the problem has been solved in a different way. In any case, the missing patch did not hinder compilation of the tool-chain for the aforementioned systems and NPTL was selected in my configuration.

600, 620: Two patches for the MIPS architecture. Since they were not Alpha related I deleted them, but I have no idea if they are still required to correctly build glibc-2.12.1 for MIPS. Someone with better knowledge than me for this system has to review these patches, change them and add them again if required.

4) I had to pass an extra flag to gcc when compiling glibc-2.12.1. In the menu, under "C library" -> "gcc extra flags" I added "-Wl,--no-relax" (without the quotes of course).

I used the latest crosstool-ng from the trunk. Hopefully, this initial work will bring us closer to use the latest versions of the required tools on other platforms too.

One final remark that I would like to make. I am not certain why all the patches I used initially are under the ports-2.10.1 directory. Most of them do not apply to the ports part of glibc. Shouldn't there be 2 directories for this, one 2.10.1 and one ports-2.10.1? Or has this been done simply to make things easy?

Ioannis E. Venetis