Re: Build Failure for PPC405 using crosstool-ng 1.9.2

Chris, Bryan, All,

On Thursday 13 January 2011 21:45:57 Kerios, Chris (KSC-ASRC-466)[ASRC AEROSPACE CORP] wrote:
> I'll be darned if that wasn't it.  I would say it is an "issue" as I would
> have never attributed something like this to the make program.

Well, this has become an issue as people ended up relying on a mis-feature
of make -3.82 that was either undocumented or a bug. What I mean is that
make 3.81 and before were not expected to be used in this fashion. make-3.82
either fixed the bug, or added a check against a bad construct in the Makefile.

Granted, make 3.81 has been there for sol ong that it has become a kind of
de-facto reference, and I doubt the change was wildy field-tested ( at least,
I would believe that some make devs do build a kernel from time to time! ;-) )
What I would have expected is a grace period by which make would warn in that
case, so people get time to fix the mess, and that the next release would
error out.

But alas, this did not happen. At least, it is so trivially easy to identify
this /issue/ that is is not really a problem.

Maybe crostool-NG should build its own make to avoid this issue... I'm still
pondering the pros vs. the cons...

> Everything is building so far...hopefully, the build will continue and I'll
> get my PPC toolchain!

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN, finally recovering from a virulent flu... :-)