Re: adding support for hardened toolchain

Quoting Bryan Hundven <bryanhundven@gmail.com>:

[.............]

The hardened toolchain is not anything folks would look at on their own
usually. Adding it to ct-ng would give it more exposure and more folks may
tend to try it out. We really need to get to a place where things get more
secure for everybody.

We'll see when I actually get a chance to look into writing a patch for
this...

After looking into this a bit more, I think I get it now, and I would like to see this get into crosstool-ng.

Cool :)

It seems to me that the patch directory needs to be refactored. I
would suggest something like:

patches/
  <architecture>/
      <program>/
          <version>/
             <patch>.patch

Where one of the "architecture"s would be "any" and another would be
"security", besides just x86, powerpc, arm, etc...

This makes sense, because my x86 toolchain doesn't need patches that
are specific to powerpc, and if the CT_TOOLCHAIN_HARDENING is enabled,
it will apply patches from "security". Patches that would be applied
regardless of architecture would go in "any".

On one hand I really like the idea of separating the architectures out, but on the other hand I'm a bit worried about inter-dependencies. Of course this could also simply be solved by moving these specific patches into "any". We need to be careful not to turn this whole thing into a maintenance nightmare whenever a new i.e. gcc comes out.

--

Regards
  Heiko Zuerker

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.