Re: ct-ng -> git repos instead of single patches

* Allan Clark <allanc@chickenandporn.com> wrote:

> Most companies are firewalled, and if this became "required", then it
> would chop out users who do not have this option.

Can we assume that they still can do HTTP requests ?

> In addition, some companies have a "vetting" process, wherein
> components are formally identified with their respective license(s)
> and checked into SCM (Moto, I'm looking at you here).  GIT would be
> unusable in such cases.  As much as you can show a "vetting of a
> version", explain that to any three corporate lawyers.

How does certain companies internal processes our handling of
our patches and tarballs ?

Current layout:

* fetch and uncompress tarballs
* apply our patches (laying within the ct-ng installation)

Proposed new layout:

* check out the sourcetree directly from git (doesnt even need to
  fully clone), with our (ct-ng provided) patches already applied

> You'd need to list the git version in your Kconfig so they're
> available before hitting a foreign server.

A fairly recent git installation (done by the user's distro)
should be fully enough.

> > Simply mirror their scm to a git repo first.
>
> ... thereby adding to the "cost" of using crossgcc -- there are
> reasons that GIT is not used in every company around the globe;
> consider that there might be a reason, but you're forcing people to
> change tools where they just want to continue getting things done.

The user doesnt have to care about these mirrors, that's our scope
(I'm already mirroring several other projects for oss-qm)

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666