Re: [patch 01/10] Force autoreconf for mpfr

Bart, Remy, All,

On Monday 31 May 2010 09:11:40 Bart van der Meulen wrote:
> 2010/5/29 Remy Bohmer <linux@bohmer.net>:
> >> I'd like that you explain what those "exotic cases" are. The patch breaks
> >> the build on my machine (Debian Lenny + backports):

> Like Remy said our build server is a RHEL5 machine, that what our IT
> wants to support, while our own build is based on a Ubuntu 8
> installation,
> so in order to build on the build server, during the build we perform
> a chroot to a ext2-image file containing a Ubuntu installation and
> perform the actual
> build inside this environment (how is that for exotic)

Thanks for clarifying the situation. And I've seen far more /exotic/
configurations! :-[

> During the toolchain build we got some errors on in the mpfr build. It
> was some time ago I traced the problem and I forgot most of the
> details,
> but what I remember is that reconf failed to update some files,
> resulting is a build failure unless it was forced to recreate all
> files.
> Using the '-fi' option fixed the build in Ubuntu environment on build
> server and did not break the build on our own native Ubuntu machines.

Oh, I think I remember something about the Ubuntu folks doing some sanity
check on the autostuff, and erroring out in a rather nasty way. I can't
remember what they did either, but they were not entirely wrong, just that
the check was over-conservative...

Unfortunately, I can't remember how that was solved/worked around last time.

Anyway, I don't want that a bug on a system be fixed by introducing another
bug on another system. Let's just *properly fix* it.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.