Re: Building a static toolchain ?

On Wednesday 31 March 2010 23:08:36 Trevor Woerner wrote:

> Okay, thanks so much for the information!
>
> Just out of curiosity:
>
> 1. Since newer glibc's are compatible with older glibc's (but not the
> other way around) is it not possible to take the latest glibc and
> lower the 'minimum supported kernel version'?

Woohoo... Stop!
We're speaking of building the toolchain components statically!
That is: gcc and binutils, period. (yes, and gdb if you want).

The glibc that is built with the toolchain is not what we are speaking
about! And this is this glibc that has a 'minimum supported kernel
version'.

But I have to agree that it gets messy to speak about this stuff! ;-)

> 2. If you have built your toolchain statically linked to an older
> glibc then wouldn't it would mean you couldn't compile programs which
> use newer system calls (e.g. futex, inotify)?

See above, irrelevant, we're speaking a bout the *host* C library, not
the target's C library.

Hope this makes it clear. :-) (BTW, I just saw Khem answered the same).

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.