Cross-compiling with ./configure

This must be a very common problem, but I have not yet been able to
Google up a solution.

Many Open Source programs come with a "configure" script that creates
all the Makefiles and possibly a config.h header file.  My problem is
how to use configure when I want to cross-compile.  In my particular
case the host is Ubuntu 8.10 i386 and the target is Google Android
ARM.  Presently I'm trying to build glib, but I have lots of other
sources that I'll need to cross-compile the same way.

The glib documentation says that when cross-compiling, one needs to
set up a cache file that is used by the configure script.  My
android.cache has:

  glib_cv_long_long_format=ll
  glib_cv_stack_grows=no

These indicate that Android's printf format for 64-bit integers is
%ll, and that the runtime stack grows downward.

The first item in my $PATH is the bin directory that contains
Android's arm-eabi-4.4.0 build of the GNU toolchain.  The LDFLAGS
parameter given to configure supplies the directory where my Android
system build places all the shared libraries:

   $ ./configure --cache-file=android.cache --host=arm-linux
LDFLAGS=-L/path/to/android/out/target/product/foofone/system/lib
   See `config.log' for more details.

Unfortunately, config.log doesn't give me a clue as to what actually failed.

I thought at first that the problem was that the built executable,
being an ARM binary, wouldn't run on i386.  But now I think the
problem is actually that the executable that configure was trying to
build could not be built at all.

Have you a clue for me?

Thanks!

Don Quixote