Help: can not compile i686-nptl-linux-gnu with crosstool-ng-1.5.2

Hello He!
All,

On Friday 18 December 2009 04:30:16 He Gang wrote:
> I am very glad to see you make crosstool continued, I am encountering
> a bug with the lastest build (crosstool-ng-1.5.2) to compile
> i686-nptl-linux-gnu on Ubuntu 9.10 or Fedora 12,
> The attached is the configuration file .config and buildlog, in fact,
> I just copied the default configuration file from samples.

The process to use an existing configuration is not to copy files, but to
tell crosstool-NG to use an existing sample:

?ct-ng i686-nptl-linux-gnu

> Could you take a look, see if there is a fix?

(Excerpt from your build.log:)
[ERROR] ? ?i686-nptl-linux-gnu-gcc: Internal error: Segmentation fault
(program as)
[ALL ?] ? ?Please submit a full bug report.
[ALL ?] ? ?See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.

As you can see by yourself, it's not crosstool-NG that fails, but 'as' that
is segfaulting.

It is difficult to remotely solve a segfault. There can be various causes
for a segfault. To try to debug this, ask yourself the following questions:

1) Does it happen again if you re-run the build?  [Yes]
? - no: see (A), below
? - yes: go to question 2

2) Does it happen systematically at the same point? [Yes]
?- no: see (A) below
?- yes: go to question 3

3) Does it happen if you select other components for the toolchain? [Not sure]
? - no, see (B), below
? - yes, go to question 4

4) Does running other CPU/memory intensive applications (eg. video encoding
? or other big compilation...) also segfault? [No]
? - no: see (A), below
? - yes: see (B), below

(A) There is a non-reproducible glitch somewhere, most probably due to
 [Not sure]
? ?any or many of:
? ?- CPU/memory over-heating
? ?- CPU/memory over-clocking
? ?- one or more bad memory module(s)
? ?This is known as the infamous "SIG11 problem", with explanations and
? ?solutions described there: http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

(B) Indeed, there is a problem when building this very source code.
? ?In this case, try re-running the same compilation command manually
? ?with debug turned on ( eg.: -v --verbose -Wa,-a=as-debug.log ) and
? ?see what it says.

Sorry I can't help you more. Next time, please post to the crossgcc mailing
list, there are many nice and knowledgeable people hanging on there.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| ?Yann E. MORIN ?| Real-Time Embedded | /"\ ASCII RIBBON | Erics' conspiracy: |
| +33 662 376 056 | Software ?Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN ? ? | ?___ ? ? ? ? ? ? ? |
| +33 223 225 172 `------------.-------: ?X ?AGAINST ? ? ?| ?\e/ ?There is no ?|
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | _/*\_ | / \ HTML MAIL ? ?| ? v ? conspiracy. ?|