Re: ct-ng build fails with 'make[1]: *** [configure-binutils] Error 1'

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Yann E. MORIN
<yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:

> Sorry if I sound harsh, but building a toolchain is really a complex matter
> and crosstool-NG (or any other builder for that matter) does not prevent
> the user from having at least some knowledge of what he/she is doing, and
> do his/her homework prior to yelling about wolves...

Nobody's yelling; I was merely pointing out that "let ./configure
decide" in a submenu item does not make me read the "Help" to figure
out if that means that the resulting target would support multiple
kernel versions. (Perhaps you were hoping to inspire the reader's
curiosity - let ./configure decide ... hmmm, I wonder what ./configure
would decide - well the help must explain it. Ah!) In any event,
please take my feedback as a suggestion for possible improvement, not
yelling.

I think we all appreciate the tremendous amount of work and effort you
and others put into tools like crosstool-ng. It is an artifact that
represents probably tens of thousands of man hours of work and
experience, especially for a task like building gcc. One could compare
it to the fancy remote controlled augers with video equipment they
bring in to free clogged sewers - "high tech" for what otherwise would
be a disgusting chore. Always keep in mind that the community
appreciates your efforts.

?- Godmar