Re: [crosstool-NG] Design discussion

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Yann E. MORIN
<yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:
> This post is to present the overall design of crosstool-NG, how and why
> I came up with it, and to eventually serve as a base for an open discussion
> on the matter.

  After some quick thought, and after mucking around to get things to
work with newlib, there is one real issue with the current
configuration that makes it difficult to add new features.

  On one hand, using these seperate build scripts make it fairly easy
to add a simple option within the menu, and have the build script
utilize that.  In the case of newlib, it really requires a script for
newlib itself (this is the easy part), but then modifications to the
gcc.sh script, making it no longer really 'stand alone'.  For
simplicity, I was almost thinking of splitting off the gcc build
script and perhaps having it use a gcc-newlib.sh script.

  Eventually, ucLibc will also run on bare metal, I wonder if the same
issue would happen, where gcc would need to be build differently.

--
-- Thomas