Re: ct-ng 220-noteGNUstack-01.patch

Mike, Thomas,
All,

On Monday 12 January 2009 21:55:02 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 12 January 2009 15:34:59 Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > I will try to massage the patch a little bit so that the file effectively
> > gets removed and see if an IA-64 toolchain still compiles.
> just make sure you use the -E option when running `patch` ?

No, I'm not using -E on purpose. There could be a patch that just empties
a file, with the file's presence still needed for the build.

patch has a heuristic to decide wether it should remove an empty file: if
the patch is in unified diff *and* the date of the destination file is Epoch
*and* the file is empty, then the file is to be removed, unless conforming
to POSIX.

This is a good heuristic, as we do in fact provide patches that are in unified
diff, are not conforming to POSIX. What was missing was the Epoch date in the
destination file header. That's now fixed (commit pending...).

When will an intelligent patch format emerge, at last?

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |