Re: another proposed crosstool project

Hello Robert!
All,

On Saturday 05 May 2007 22:57, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   as opposed to yann's project (and, in fact, dan's current version),
> the point of mini-ct was/is to strip the workings of crosstool down to
> its absolute basics so that it does the minimum possible work to build
> a toolchain.

That could sound a good idea, but see below.

>   a lot of the things that are normally choices would be fixed, to
> represent the idea of building the *best* choice of toolchain.

Unfortuantely, the cross-compiling world is not made of generalities, but
mostly of singularities. While I agree that some options (eg. sysroot) could
be set once and for all and not leave the user the choice because it would be
worse if [s]he did set otherwise, others must be available.

And it would mean that you target only the tupple linux-binutils-gcc-glibc.
What about, say, cygwin, tcc and uClibc? Or even, Solaris (no, just kidding)!

>   over the next few posts, i want to describe the minimum work that
> would be done at each phase in the process, and see what people think.
> you'll see where i'm going with this fairly quickly, i think.

I'll look attentively at them.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |