Help needed - NPTL for ARM (xscale)

I've spent most of this week scouring the web for the clues I need to
get this
working, and haven't succeeded.

I've got my Linux kernel currently building using binutils 2.15, gcc
3.3.3 and
glibc 2.3.2. This is using homegrown scripts that I inherited.

Now I've been asked to get NPTL working.
I think I've discovered the following :
- It can be done, but it's not easy.
- The people who've done it have used crosstool, but they had to patch
it.
- I need a more recent version of (at least) binutils and glibc, mostly
because
you need TLS to get NPTL going.

I'm happy to move to crosstool (or anything else) if it'll get the job
done.

I downloaded crosstool and applied a patch called crosstool-0.42-mg2
that I
found on this list, as well as a couple of tiny xscale patches.

Then I embarked on my quest for a combination of binutils, gcc and glibc
that
will work.
I think I've tried every *-tls.dat in my crosstool with glibc>2.3.2, and
they've
all failed to build in one way or another. I'll admit that I wasn't very
scientific about it because I'd be happy just to hit on a set that
works. I'm
now in the process of systematically trying them all and recording at
how each
one fails.

Can somebody out there tell me :
- what set of tools they've used for NPTL on xscale
- what patches they needed to get it to go
(If I've missed this when scouring the archives, please point it out to
me. I
looked hard).

I'd prefer to use a pre-4 gcc just because I know that we have some
software that
doesn't build with gcc 4, but it's not that big a deal.

Alternatively, if somebody can tell me that it can't be done right now
for some
reason, that would do, too.

Thanks,

Chris Brand