Re: Possibly OT: GCC 2.96 on PPC for VxWorks 5.5

Paul Smith schrieb:
My situation is this:

* I have an official BSP directly from Wind River, with support for
Solaris hosting, and I got all my Solaris binaries, etc. from them
(or rather, I didn't personally but Nortel did--this was before my
association with the project: if I'd been there at the beginning I
would have insisted on getting the source CD then as well!) I
already gave all the version information I have in previous posts.

I have zero, read that ZERO, respect for WRS. Ok, perhaps ca. 1988 when WRS had the 'Windbag'
newsletter... but definately from the time of the run up to the IOP, and since, the company policies
have never impressed me with anything but how one way the company is.

The policy seems to be to make it such a hassle to get GPL required items, that most people just don't
bother. I almost split a gut a few years ago with WRS scarfed up FreeBSD, then fortunately spit it out
again... and as we all know, the BSD license doesn't have the 'supply source' requirement. Which of course
is one of the fundamental reasons why I've never been impressed with vxWorks... namely for the
most part it is derived from a collection of the works of others, who in most cases are not being
compensated in the least because they did the work as idealistic/students/whathaveyou and never
thought to put personal licenses (or couldn't...) to limit uncompensated commercial use.

It has also been a wonder why WRS hasn't, and forutnately so, gotten the UC Regents to recind
the general BSD license, and lock it in WRS's favor.

The only reason I can see for using WRS is because some other needful package is only available
to operate under vxWorks.

None of which helps you in your requirements... My condolences.

John Clark