Re: general cygwin cross compiling question

Hi,
Nils Roeder wrote,

> Hi there,
>
> apologies if my question is already answered in some faq,
> i did search but could not find anything. If something exists i
> appreciate if someone helps me to find it.
>
> I am wondering about the general concept of a cygwin hosted cross
> compiler to linux targets :
> build=cygwin
> host=cygwin
> target=armxscale-linux,ppc-linux, etc

At least I have a working cygwin compiler for linux/x86 and
linux/ppc. So it should be possible. I used the newest Cygwin 1.5.19.

> As far as i can see crosstools are using binutils,cygwin and gcc to
> attempt to create such compilers... ?
> I understand the necessity of the cygwin headers for the HOST part
> of the compiler but what code are the binaries running under linux
> build with if no TARGET glibc/newlin/uClibc is available ?

The cygwin toolchain will build glibc as well.
gcc 3.4.4, binutils 2.16.1 and glibc 2.3.5 is a working combination.

> Would i not need to create a HOST cross compiler part with cygwin and
> a TARGET crosscompiler part with e.g. glibc under cygwin ?
> (And if so, i admit i would not have a clear idea how to approach this).

I am not sure, what you try todo, but if you only need to create
binaries for linux/ppc or linux/arm under windows, just execute sh
demo-ppc.sh in a cygwin shell.

gruss
    Waldemar

--