Re: arm eabi boot progress.

On 4/27/06, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 27 April 2006 03:49, Steven Newbury wrote:
> > The other thing was the kernel headers. 2.6.16
> > headers, including those provided by gentoo are broken with respect to ARM
> > EABI. Syscalls that were removed but still defined were confusing glibc.
> > This is in addition to those that were fixed in the glibc patch.
>
> they're pretty vanilla headers ... so if they're broken in Gentoo, they're
> broken everywhere ...

This appears to be an artifact of the use of the host compiler to
bootstrap the linux headers into the glibc build procedure.  I worked
around it in the patch that I posted by arranging for -D__ARM_EABI__
to be tacked onto the host compiler during that pass.  This satisfies
glibc 2.4's demand for the EABI-style syscall base.

Steve, if you would care to try the patch that I posted, I would be
interested to know whether it works for you.  It contains all of the
patches that I know of applicable to the latest binutils and to NPTL
in glibc 2.4.  (Adjust the target and cpu optimization in earm.dat and
replace earm.config with your kernel config before running
./latest.sh.)  You should get a full EABI soft-float NPTL/TLS
toolchain; you should then be able to configure and build the
2.6.16.11 kernel unpacked under the build directory.

Cheers,
- Michael