RE: Rom based Shared Library

On 30 March 2006 09:49, johnmc@sidsa.es wrote:

> The .bss section needs to be copied to RAM from FLASH at initialisation
> time.

  No, it doesn't.  Really!  I think you must have a misunderstanding about
what a .bss section /is/ if you think it contains anything that needs
copying....

> Question:
>    Is it possible to force the compiler to put all global data in the
> .data section and to discard the .bss section.
>
> I have tried -fno-common but it does not work
>
> Target - arm-elf.

  Did you try combining -fno-common with -fno-zero-initialized-in-bss as well?
That /ought/ to result in no .bss section at all in the final output files.
(It may be that the toolchain generates a file with a zero-sized bss section;
you can verify that with the binutils 'size' command and you could use
objcopy's --remove-section option to excise it in that case).

    cheers,
      DaveK