Re: Problem with cross tool and compiling glibc with nptl

On 3/17/06, Gabe.Johnson@radisys.com <Gabe.Johnson@radisys.com> wrote:
> Using crosstool-0.38 with crosstool-0.28-extra-patches.patch and
> crosstool-0.28-rc37-e500.patch.  We are using demo-e500.sh which sets up
> the following:
>
> --demo-e500.sh
> TARBALLS_DIR=$HOME/downloads
> RESULT_TOP=/opt/crosstool
> export TARBALLS_DIR RESULT_TOP
> GCC_LANGUAGES="c,c++"
> export GCC_LANGUAGES
> EXTRA_PATCHES="spe"
> export EXTRA_PATCHES

I'd forgotten about the extra-patches patch.   I wonder if it would make
the people happy who have been asking for a site-patches directory...

> --gcc-3.4.3-e500-glibc-2.3.3-spe.dat
> BINUTILS_DIR=binutils-2.15
> GCC_DIR=gcc-3.4.3
> GLIBC_DIR=glibc-2.3.3
> LINUX_DIR=linux-2.6.9
> GLIBCTHREADS_FILENAME=glibc-linuxthreads-2.3.3
>
> --powerpc-e500.dat
> TARGET=powerpc-linux-gnuspe
> TARGET_CFLAGS="-O"
> GLIBC_ADDON_OPTIONS="=linuxthreads,spe"
> KERNELCONFIG=`pwd`/powerpc-e500.config

OK.

> We are trying to build gcc and glibc with tls and ntpl support.

Not ok.  You can build gcc/glibc with TLS fine with plain old
crosstool (I just did it recently), but to build with NPTL support
you need to go out on a limb and apply another patch to
crosstool (which builds the compiler again, as you mentioned).

An NPTL patch for 0.42 is here:
http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2006-03/msg00090.html
0.38 probably has an NPTL patch in contrib, or there
may be a more up-to-date one in the crossgcc archives.

NPTL is still somewhat rocket science.  I haven't tried it myself
so there may be bats in the belfry yet.
- Dan