Re: crosstool: how to link with compiled glibc

On 12/1/05, Mark Jessee <mjessee04@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi, I'm just getting started with crosstool.  I've successfully built
> > > a toolchain using the demo-i386.sh script.  However I need some help
> > > on how to use the glibc libraries that were also build.  When I
> > > compile a simple test program using the new compiler and then run
> > > 'ldd', it shows that they are linked against my previously installed
> > > system libraries.
> >
> > You misunderstand what ldd does.
> > It shows you what libraries would be loaded if you tried
> > to run the apps right now on the current system.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Can you how to force it to use the newly
> compiled libraries?

You can't.  Don't use ldd for this.

If you want to see what libraries a binary wants, use readelf.
http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/manual/html_chapter/binutils_14.html

> Where would I copy the libraries from in the
> crosstool directory?  There seems to be some in
> /build/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-3.4.3-glibc-2.3.4/build-glibc/.  I
> don't suppose there is an 'install' command anywhere to put them into
> the correctly /lib structure?

You don't need to copy them anywhere.  Readelf should do
the trick without having to see the libraries.  Or are you
looking for transitive closure?   Montavista used to ship
a cross-ldd that did what you want.  I can't recall how it
was implemented.
- Dan
--
Why can't Johnny run Linux?  See http://kegel.com/linux/comfort