Re: Building Win32 apps on Linux? (To Cygwin users on the list...)

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 08:33:01PM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 08:03:16PM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
>>>I'm still not sure I see the full picture, though.  Does this mean that
>>>actual cross build setup is readily available,
>>
>>No.
>>
>It's tempting to ask why not...

Yes, it's good that you didn't do something so pushy and rude as to ask
someone why they only chose to provide hundreds of megabytes of free
stuff and didn't choose to go to the extra effort of providing you with
some extra, tangentially related stuff, which would suit your specific
needs.

>But I guess there must be someone who has released binaries for this,
>if I decide that's what I want.

Or, you could build your own, this being the crossgcc mailing list,
where this sort of thing is dealt with on a daily basis.

>>I just built a cross-compiler for my system.  Normal users just run
>>gcc on windows.
>
>Aren't the normal users those who have to support multiple platforms?

Normal users login to systems and type "configure; make; make install".
That's what you get with cygwin.

>It seems to me that it must be better to have the same build host for
>most or all of them...

The goal of cygwin is to provide a linux environment for Windows not a
cross compilation environment to Windows.  FWIW, the former is very much
more ambitious than the latter.

>Personally, I think I may possibly be talked into developing software
>for Windows, but only if I don't have to do actual work under the
>Windows environment, which I just don't like (that's why I'm here,
>right?)

I have no idea why you're here.  You're in a mailing list which, AFAICT,
has no obvious anti-Windows bias.  I haven't seen anyone here trying to
talk you into developing software on Windows.  I really doubt that
anyone cares where you build your software.

>>You build a cygwin cross compiler more or less the same way as you build
>>any cross compiler.  The standard windows libraries and headers are part
>>of the winsup/mingw and winsup/w32api directories which are supposed to
>>be used and automatically when you build a cross-compiler.
>
>Where do these come from? The gcc distro itself? glibc?

You can check them out of CVS (I'll let you guess where you'd have to go
to find cygwin CVS) right into a standard "devo" build tree containing
such directories as "binutils, opcodes, gcc, gdb, etc." or you can
download the sources from the cygwin release and install them on the
linux system of your choice.

>I did have a stab at building a "cross gcc" for cygwin target, but I was
>using my newlib-based setup for embedded platforms, which I didn't
>really expect to work. And I was right. The build looked promising for a
>while, but eventually failed due to missing stdio.h or something like
>that. I didn't investigate the issue further.

It sounds like you need to start investigating things further.  I'd suggest
google or the archives of this mailing list.
--
Christopher Faylor			spammer? ->	aaaspam@sourceware.org
Cygwin Co-Project Leader				aaaspam@duffek.com